Lording over the skies across the island, Argentavis Atrocollum has few aerial rivals. It is a small consolation for the island's other avian Creatures, then, that Argentavis seems to have little interest in anything alive. Although they are not interested in many animals, Argentavis will attack any human within sight making them an aerial threat to many humans with basic equipment.
Quite apart from what I would have guessed, Argentavis does not have the stooped neck typical of modern buzzards and vultures. It is unknown if it adapted this stronger neck to deal with predators on the island, or if its lineage comes from before the stooped neck became common in carrion-eating birds. It is a highly aggressive creature, willing to chase players long distances for simply being within its vision.
Argentavis is actually slower than the far more common Pteranodon, but it has significantly more stamina, and can sustain flight for approximately three times as long. This makes them the best creatures on the island for traveling or hauling cargo over long distances.
— The Dossier
The Argentavis (Arr-jen-tah-viss) is a medium sized carnivorous (carrion feeder) bird found on the Ark. While it is carnivorous, it is a scavenger by nature, rather than predatory, though it will act aggressively, attacking with its talons if disturbed. As a scavenger, it can be attracted to corpses from a surprising distance. It has become much clearer that these birds are more predatory than thought as they generally attack on sight. They easily lose interest in the target.
Few birds on the island can quite compare with the enormous Argentavis. A keen-eyed and vulture-like bird of prey, this species ranges all across the island and is found in a variety of colors, while its sheer size and broad wings make it impossible to mistake for any other bird. Although predominantly a scavenger an Argentavis will defend any carrion it finds ferociously, and it has been known to attack live prey as well.
The Argentavis is territorial and will attack you if you get too close. It is a highly aggressive creature, willing to chase players long distances for simply being within its vision. Argentavis are scavengers, so they will be attracted by dead bodies from a surprising distance away.
Argentavis can be both tamed and ridden, with a saddle that can be crafted at player level 55. It is tamed using Raw Meat. It is noteworthy that while Argentavis is both slower and less common than the Pteranodon, it has more Stamina, can remain in flight for roughly three times longer, and can carry more Cargo, making it ideal for long-range exploration. Currently this bird is the Alpha predator of the skies as none can match its ability to carry supplies, travel far distances, or attack unsuspecting islanders. WARNING: These Birds are not disposable.
I was once privy to seeing a rider of a Argentavis have his mount crash through the roof of a cliff side thatch home where the rider then had his bird of prey snatch up its stunned inhabitant and unceremoniously drop the poor islander to his death some 100 feet below on a collection of sharp rocks.
- Dung Beetle
- Terror Bird
Normally Argentavis can be found flying among the trees inland. Although i have now more recently seen them high in the mountains and specifically in the Northern parts of the island.
- There is a typo in their dossier where it reads "to best creatures" rather than "the best creatures".
- Argentavis are very susceptible to headshots and will usually go down after 1-5 shots with a ranged weapon depending on level.
- Tamed Argentavis will be targeted by Titanomyrma Soldiers and Meganeuras without hesitation.
- The Argentavis can fit in any size of Dinosaur Gate.
- The name "Argentavis" is sometimes shortened to "Argy", "Argent" or "Argi" by players.
- In gameplay, Argentavis is essentially a stronger, but slower version of the Pteranodon.
- Although listed as a Carrion Feeder, the Argentavis does not seem to eat spoiled meat. It does however, swoop in on any dead animals nearby and try to eat it or kill the responsible player.
- You can use a hookshot on your Argentavis for a portable, safe taming spot, but be sure to bring a parachute if you plan to do this strategy!
Trivia not relevant for the game